Monday, September 14, 2009

O! ...Possum!

***UPDATE*** Shortly after I posted this, we had another opossum adventure. Bentley was at his usual spot by the window (surveying "his" territory), when all of a sudden he started barking like crazy and then bolted for the doggie door. Dan got up and followed him outside, and sure enough, Bentley had caught the possum! He had him by the neck and was shaking the poor thing violently. Dan called Bentley off, and we put the dogs inside. Then Dan went back out and caught the possum in a bucket! I was so proud of my little possum catcher! His paw appears to have been hurt (probably by Bentley). We didn't know what to do with him, so Dan released him in the drainage ditch in the front yard. I realize that he will probably be back, but what else do you do with a possum at 10:00pm?!



The dogs were going crazy the other night. We were not sure what to think. So Dan grabbed a flashlight and ventured out into the darkness. He came back a few minutes later and told me to follow him.


This is what we found.



Possum! This is the first opossum I have ever seen in real life. Dan said that he saw one years ago, and threw snowballs at it. But that one was bigger than this little guy.


I just hope he doesn't get a hankerin' to come in thru the doggie door.

6 comments:

Jester said...

Aw, come on Chrystal, don't you want another pet?? He's cute in a GIANT RAT way.

Amyanne said...

Wow, did you see our blog about the similar problem we had. Except our was in a cage when I took a picture of it. Way to be brave! I hope he doesn't become a problem. Ick!

Margaret said...

Oh no! I've had a possum that lives in the yard behind my house for a long time now. It comes and eats any leftover cat food from the outside kitties. I was told by the Wildlife people not to trap it and remove it because another one will just come and take it's place. It seems they are territorial. Hopefully the dogs will discourage it from coming any closer to your house.

Salina said...

My mom found a baby one in the gutter, that was "playing" dead, but unfortunately for my mom, the playing ended when she tried to move it! Scared her to death! And it was just a baby! Let's just hope it's not smart enough to use the doggie door!

Gifford Family said...

OH he is so cute! I have never seen one before in real life either.

Unknown said...

When we were living in the "maids' quarters" in River Oaks I came home from my internship and thought a giant sewer rat was in the apartment. All I saw was its long tail and the crunching noise of it eating our egg noodles.

Ugh, never do I want to see this animal again! Good luck...